Hi there. Welcome to Issue 3 of the 15 More Minutes Referee Review.
We have the images of the 2 pages below, but here is the issue 3 PDF 15 More Minutes – Issue 03 Chat, No tackle, Tackle! if you prefer to save a copy on your computer, or simply have the two pages together for more convenient printing. For this issue regarding the tackle, we also used input from SN’s and BA’s tackle presentations from 2007 to 2010.
1a) Tackles – a bunch of good tackles:
1b) Not a tackle! “Play on!” Check out the timecode 0:56 on this iRB 7s video of #9 black falls & gets up without incident. This no tackle type of thing happens in 15s as well of course.
2) For the next four video clips, think about the four different types of tackle & who should win the ball at each. Did the ball carrier turn properly? Was their support there?
- Check out the SPACKLE by #2 black on #7 green at timecode 1:40 during this video of iRB’s Total Rugby with Richie McCaw, 2010 iRB Player of the Year.
- Immediately followed by a BACKLE by #7 black on green ball carrier after the ruck at timecode 1:46 during the same video of iRB’s Total Rugby with Richie McCaw, 2010 iRB Player of the Year.
- Check out the JACKAL (imminent) by #7 white on #12 black at timecode 0:25 during this video of iRB’s WRWC Round 5 Performance of the day with Maggie “the Machine” Alphonsi.
- Check out the CRACKLE by #2 white on #2 black at timecode 1:30 during the same video of iRB’s WRWC Round 5 Performance of the day.
3) Another presentation on the tackle with some more management ideas is 2007 Managing the Tackle.
4) For some examples of BAD and DANGEROUS tackles, check out the videos at the bottom of this page: http://edmonton.refereerugby.com/administration/dangerous-tackle-incident
5) One thing to know about refereeing the tackle: all offenses at the tackle are Penalty Kicks (or, penalty advantage).